Thursday, October 21, 2010

Leftover Makeover

I sent my husband to the store the other day to grab me a pork shoulder, well as most men would, he got the biggest one he could find. A 7 3/4 pounder! So this is the third night in a row we are eating pork!! I figured I had better come up with something different in taste and looks. Then the phone rang, it was my daughter who said she thinks she found a recipe for enchilada sauce just like the one we had on vacation in the mountains this past summer (a new tradition we started and I love, can't wait for next summer) So I whipped up a batch and I gotta say it's not identical but still very good.
This is what I came up with.


·   2 tablespoons chili powder
·   3 tablespoons flour
·   1 teaspoon cocoa powder
·   1/2 teaspoon garlic 
    1/2 teaspoon salt 
·   1 teaspoon oregano
·   3 cups water
·   1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce

In a med sauce pan measure all your dry ingredients

then add enough water to mix into a thin paste, this way you will not get lumps. Add in the rest of the water and heat over med heat


simmer for about 5 min until thickened and then add tomatoes, simmer again for another 5 min. be careful to keep stirring this can stick and burn before you know it.








I added some sauce to the leftover pork that I shredded (I heated the pork slightly on med for 5 min. in the microwave, this just makes it much easier to shred)
Then I dragged the flour shells through the sauce (you can use corn too that's traditional, but flour is what I had) fill and roll


Pour a little sauce in the bottom of your baking dish that way the enchiladas won't stick to the bottom of the pan. Roll and fill all of your shells. my leftover meat made 6. Bake at 350 for 30 min covered. Uncover for the last 5 min. and add your cheese to the top.                           

They will never know it was that pork roast... AGAIN!!

1 comment:

  1. That sauce was outstanding!! Tyler even said we wouldn't have to ever go out for Mexican food if i keep cooking this. haha

    ReplyDelete