Friday, October 8, 2010

Comfort and warmth

So when the weather turns cool I turn to Scalloped Potatoes!! I can't help it, if that's my worst character flaw, I'll take it!
Last nights class was great, and we got to eat some really good food. We made Peach Glazed Ham that turned a "ham hater" into a ham lover! some yummy warm gooey Scalloped Potatoes, and I must say the best fresh Green Beans with garlic and Almonds I've ever made, they turned out perfect. I think it was the shocking in ice water after steaming that did it. They were tender crisp and delicious.The Apple Cranberry Crostinis were a huge hit. The girls were coming up with there very own ideas for fillings. One of which involved chocolate of coarse! Comment me and give me your ideas for fillings.(I thought peaches and raspberries would be great)
Here are some pictures from last nights class, they all came out a little yellow, any ideas on that and I would love to hear them too.

peel some potatoes

slice or chop some onions
slice thin on a vegetable slicer or with a Mandolin


(alternating potato and onion) shingle into a pan, I first rubbed with garlic and then slathered with butter

mix hot half and half with butter,salt and pepper

Pour over, I give it a little shake to spread the mixture out

and YUMMM

Scalloped Potatoes

  • 1 clove garlic
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes or other waxy-style potato
  • 1 med. Sweet onion
  • 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
  • 1 tablespoon kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Pinch nutmeg
Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Rub the garlic around the inside of an 8 by 8 by 2-inch or 8 inch round casserole dish and let it dry. Reserve the remaining garlic. Rub the butter around the inside of the dish. Reserve the remaining butter.
Peel and thinly slice the potatoes and onion on a mandolin or vegetable slicer (about 1/8-inch-thick slices). Place sliced potatoes overlapping in the baking dish, alternate with onions and sprinkle each layer lightly with flour.
In a medium saucepan, combine the garlic, butter, half-and-half, salt, pepper to taste, and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, Remove the garlic and pour over layered potato and onion. Give a little shake to disperse mixture. Cover with foil.
Place pan on a foil lined baking sheet and bake the potatoes until lightly browned and bubbly, about 45 min. Uncover for last 15-20, till a fork goes in the center with ease. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Also very good with lightly steamed Cauliflower. I and a little gated Italian blend cheese in the layers of that one. Top with some buttered bread crumbs (½ C bread crumbs mixed with 2 Tbls. melted butter) and bake about 30 min till golden brown


                                      



                                    

6 comments:

  1. I heared some people are having trouble posting, we are looking into that. Keep trying >3

    ReplyDelete
  2. sorry that symbol looks like little boobies I meant to do a heart!! <3 haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. it still looks like little boobies! hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  4. yay!!!!!! I DID IT!!! I was trying for 2 hours almost last night to post comments hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. so how did you do it!!?? share, lots of other people are having trouble :/

    ReplyDelete
  6. And it only took a minute to make a comment!

    ReplyDelete