Monday, November 1, 2010

Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps

I often forget about this recipe and when it pops up in my head I crave it until I make it. It looks fancy and hard to make with all the chopping, but a food processor makes light work of this one.
I first had this at PF Changs for lunch with my daughter one day. I came right home and tried to duplicate it, and I think I came pretty close. At least an easy version of it.


In a med bowl place,
1 lb. boneless white meat chicken, strips
2 Tb. light soy sauce
1/2 tsp. fresh grated ginger
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp chili garlic sauce (available in your Asian section of your market)
Mix together and place in refrigerate


After about 1 hour heat large frying pan over high heat add 2 Tb. vegetable oil and cook chicken through about 8-10 min (if its not all the way cooked that's OK, you are going to cook it again) Save the fry pan you are going to use it again.
Place cooked chicken in a food processor bowl and chop coarsely. dump out on a plate and set aside.


In the same food processor bowl place,
1 celery stalk 1 inch pieces
1/2 sweet onion 1 inch pieces
1 small sweet red pepper 1 inch pieces
1/2 bag Cole slaw mix
1 can sliced water chestnuts
 Pulse until coarsely chopped.


Add another 1 Tb. oil to the fry pan and add in all the chopped vegetables and the chopped chicken.
At this time add in
1/4 cup chicken stock
 3 Tb. light soy sauce
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 Tb. fresh grated ginger
1 large clove garlic grated
and anywhere from 1 tsp. - 1 Tb. of the chili garlic sauce, depending on how hot you like it.


I like to use 2 rubber spatulas to keep this moving in the pan cook about 6 min. over med high heat until cooked through the veggies will still be crunchy and the chicken cooked through.

Serve
on lettuce leaf, I like Romain, but it was served on Bib at the restaurant. Top with more of the coleslaw mix (raw), lime wedge, chili garlic sauce and or soy sauce.
Makes 4 servings 2 each

3 comments:

  1. I think I am able to finally comment!!!! I tried to comment a couple times with questions and comments, but it wouldn't let me. One question was where do you find pumpkin pie spice. In the spices aisle or pumpkin pie aisle. Aren't you glad I can comment now?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! These are my favorite! I will definately be making this SOON!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha Jenn yes I am and be patient I try to reply every, You can find pumpkin pie spice usually this time of year in the large center isle of holiday baking items at your super center. If not you can make your own by mixing 2 Tb. cinnamon 1 tsp allspice 1/2 tsp.clove and 1/2 tsp nutmeg mix together and store in a small air tight container. You can see why I go to the pumpkin pie spice blend alot!

    ReplyDelete